29 August 2009

Grandkids





What is it about grandkids that makes us so … well, gaga? I’ve thought a lot about this over the past several days as I’ve been able to spend time with each of my four grandchildren. I have been crazy about each of them since the day that they were each born. None of them has come without some type of worry. I’ve worried about the health of both mother and child each time one of them has been born. Each of them has such a special place in my heart. I’m fascinated with each milestone in their lives whether rolling over for the first time, taking first steps, losing the first tooth, or losing the oxygen tubing. I’ve had some ignorant people make comments about how the fact that three of the grandkids aren’t really mine, but I laugh as I comment that they most certainly are. I love the comments about the fact that I look far too young to be a grandmother. Whatever it is, there is something so wonderful about being a grandma.

I love being a parent. I love watching the journeys that my children are taking in their lives. Sometimes the journeys are painful, and sometimes the journeys are glorious. But, watching the grandchildren adds a new dimension to everything. Through their eyes, I get to experience the joys of watching my children delight in their children. Through the eyes of the grandchildren, I can see the awareness of everything around them come radiating through. Through the eyes of my grandchildren, I see all of my hopes and dreams for their parents coming out. Through the eyes of my grandchildren, I see the bright and beautiful eyes of my children.

Being a grandparent is a double-edged sword, though. Not only do we celebrate when our children celebrate their children’s daily accomplishments, but we also feel their despair when their children are in jeopardy. Nothing is as wonderful as watching my child’s eyes light up with the joy of seeing his child’s smile; nothing is worse than not being able to take away my child’s anguish when he doesn’t know if he’ll see his child’s smile again.

I wouldn’t trade being a grandma for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment