16 December 2008

Technology & Where is My Child?

Technology rules! But, at the same time, technology adds to our worries. I should be getting ready for work, but it dawned on me that Meghan's flight should have landed in Salt Lake City 45 minutes ago. So, I check my phone. No text from Meg to confirm that she landed safely. I check the online flight status at the airport -- flight in the air; estimated arrival 9:25. I glance at the clock. It's 9:35. I notice another box on the flight update page. It's a radar map outlining where the plane is. Then I notice several circles in the flight path between Rupert and Twin Falls, Idaho. They circled three times! Somewhere near Brigham City -- another couple of circles. I hit refresh, only to see know that the flight has been updated to land at 9:52 and that the projected flight path is taking my baby girl to the Point of the Mountain and then back to Salt Lake City. I can't wait to hear what Meg's side of the story is. Where is my daughter? This is nerve-wracking. I sent my beloved baby girl on a plane BY HERSELF to navigate Seattle-Tacoma Airport alone. Before that, she had to take a taxi from her dorm to the airport BY HERSELF with a strange taxi driver who could kidnap her for all I knew. She aged me a bit when she sent me a text telling me that the driver skidded to a stop in the icy intersection. I sent her to the airport early as the airline website instructed, worried that Meg would have a lot of people to get through to go through security and to get her ticket and to get checked in and and and. Instead, within 10 minutes, the girl tells me that she is checked in, her bag has been taken, AND she is through security. She had two hours to wait. Then I finally received a text at 4:00 a.m. to tell me that she had finally arrived in Seattle.

Oh YAY! My phone just made noise! The plane landed! My darling dotter is on the ground once again. She's off to begin her Christmas vacation, and I can stop worrying and finish getting ready for work.

Technology -- what did we do before Internet and cell phones? How did we survive the waiting for information?

1 comment:

  1. With all this grand technology, you'd think you would figure out how to spell check daughter. It's not dotter :D and yes I made it safe and sound and so did you.

    ReplyDelete